When we think about survival, we immediately imagine ourselves stranded in a jungle, eating raw plants and talking to imaginary friends. You know, the usual! But the reality is, survival situations can arise regardless of time, place, or any other factor. In a case of emergency, an epidemic, or even an apocalypse will test your preparedness to survive anytime, anywhere. Just imagine, if a disaster happens when you’re at home or your workplace, what would you do then? How would you escape the urban setting? How would you keep yourself alive? That’s why you need to buy urban survival gear right away. So, after conducting extensive researches, we’ve picked the top 10 urban survival gear for you. Let’s check them out below.
You might be also interested in: The Ultimate Guide on Surviving in the Woods
1. Off Grid Tools Multitool Axe Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: We’re kicking off this list with this multitool axe from Off Grid Tools. Though it’s branded as a camping axe, it will come in handy in urban setups like breaking open doors. This MacGyver of axes includes a saw blade, a hatchet blade, a bottle opener, multiple hex wrenches to name a few!
Design and Quality: The axe is only 11.5 inches long and weighs 1.6 pounds, making it easy to pack and move around. Despite its compact design, it can easily carry off heavy tasks like chopping down wood.
- The six-inch saw blade is fully replaceable
- The handle comes with a seat belt cutter and a hardened glass breaker and
- The handle can feel uncomfortable in bare hands
2. Covert Escape Chest Pack by Hazard 4 Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: This chest pack from Hazard 4 is genuinely one of a kind. It has the main package for storing essential tools and a removable shutter bag for additional storage space. Its nylon material and waterproof zippers guarantee you years of service without a doubt.
Design and Quality: This urban survival gear has a unique harness system. You can quickly turn the chest pack into a bandoleer, a waist pack, or even a shoulder bag.
- The dobby nylon material of this chest pack is water-resistant
- Wearable in five different modes depending upon the situation and the setting
- The pockets may seem small to some people
3. Boker Plus 01BO047 Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: Branded exclusively as urban survival gear, this pen tip knife from Boker is a value-for-money product. You can carry this in your pockets as its length is only 4.125 inches. The knife has a black finish, and a curved stainless-steel blade ensures you a good number of years in service.
Design and Quality: The textured handle with pocket clip gives you a comfortable grip and storage. The dual thumb stud is quite handy, according to its users.
- The handle is built with durable fiberglass nylon
- Some may find the size to be too small to use
4. Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Solar Recharging Kit with Nomad 7 Plus Solar Panel Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: Goal Zero’s solar recharging kit takes care of all your recharging needs. The connection between the guide 10 plus and the nomad 7 plus is that they both charge AA batteries using sunlight. The nomad 7 plus solar panel can also be used to recharge your phone, camera, and other electronic devices.
Design and Quality: The whole kit weighs around 18 oz, which is quite useful for solar-powered survival gear. The lifecycle of the guide 10 plus is 500 cycles, which is quite extraordinary for a piece of survival equipment.
- The small light on guide 10 plus helps you out in the dark. It also has an indicator light for notifying you when the power is low with its green/red lights
- Includes AA batteries and also supports AAA batteries (sold separately)
- Comes with a removable pouch and kickstand for orienting the solar panel
- The solar panel requires certain angles and orientations to be charged
5. SOG Flint Survival & Defense Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: This urban survival tool from SOG embodies three different instruments – an emergency whistle, a glass breaker, and a fire starter. SOG flint packs all these features in a pencil-like compact size. This survival gear also features a steel wool tinder compartment, which is undoubtedly a bonus.
Design and Quality: The sturdy, anodized aluminum build will amaze you, as it weighs less than an ounce. The 4.3-inch length of this urban survival gear gives you the flexibility to carry it in small spaces such as a pocket.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The carbide-tipped glass breaker works excellent in urban survival situations
- The keychain connection is somewhat difficult to use
6. J5 Tactical V1-PRO Flashlight Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: This tactical flashlight gives 300-lumen light, which is100 times brighter than regular incandescent lights. It comes with a wide-to-narrow beam zoom and three modes called high, low, and strobe. It can be the solution to many of your urban survival needs.
Design and Quality: This durable flashlight can withstand a 9-feet drop or temporary sink in the water. Itcan easily be placed in pockets or purses. Its sleek design is sure to catch your eyes.
- Comes with a “no questions asked” replacement warranty for a year
- Uses only a single AA battery
- Suitable for use in rain, snow, or other critical urban emergencies
- No significant drawbacks to mention
7. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: LifeStraw’s water filter is an award-winning urban survival gear.It can filter up to 1000 gallons of water without using batteries, or chemicals like iodine and chlorine. It surpasses the EPA filter standards and gives you clean, safe-to-drink water.
Design and Quality: This heavy-duty water filter weighs only 2 oz for carrying it anywhere you want. It’s made of BPA free material and doesn’t have an expiry date, which reassures you of its quality.
- The membrane microfilters are made of hollow fiber membranes, ensuring that only clean water passes through the filter
- Comes in a sealed bag ideal for storing in urban survival gear supply kits
- It might get clogged sometimes
8. Emergency Sleeping Bag with Hood Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: This emergency sleeping bag folds to only 3.5×2.5 inches. But when you unfold it, it expands to a massive size of 8.75×3 feet! Don’t Die in The Woods give a 100% satisfaction guarantee that you won’t find a tougher sleeping bag anywhere, EVER! It’s perfect for urban survival.
Design and Quality: You’ll be surprised to know that the sturdy sleeping bag weighs only 7 ounces! The HeatFlex Mylar material is tougher and more flexible than any space blanket Mylar.
- This sleeping bag is waterproof
- Comes in three different colors
- A percentage of profits goes to local and global conservation organizations
- Some may prefer regular emergency blanket over this
9. A2S Protection PSK Paracord Bracelet 8-in-1 Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: While the name suggests it’s a paracord bracelet, it’s so much more than that. This 8-in1 urban survival gear embodies a compass, a flint Firestarter, a fishing hook & string along with a 550 paracord. It also has a signal mirror, an emergency knife, and a glass breaker for unavoidable circumstances.
Design and Quality: The adjustable size suits anyone regardless of their wrist size. It will look great around your wrist. This bracelet weighs only 1.7 oz, which is also a plus point. The paracord is durable too, with a breaking point of 550 lbs.
- The paracord is 12 feet long, ready for any situation
- The emergency whistle can make noise up to 100 dB
- Seven inner strands can be used fire tinder, sewing string, or fishing line
- The signaling mirror is a bit too small
10. SOG PowerAssist Multitool Urban Survival Gear
Product Description: The last item on our list is your go-to tool for nearly everything. The PowerAssist multitool from SOG packs sixteen different tools in one body! The tools include pliers, wire cutter,v-cutter, knives, can/bottle openers, screwdrivers,crimpers, among others.
Design and Quality: SOG assures you this multitool will serve you for a lifetime. Its sturdy 420 stainless steel build further complements the statement. The satin-finished body gives it a premium look which makes it stand out among other similar products in the market.
- Requires less force to grip and cuts twice as hard, guaranteed by SOG’s Patented Compound Leverage
- Includes a ballistic nylon cover for protection
- The knives are spring-assisted to open quickly
- The opening function of the knives is confusing to some users
That concludes the list of top 10 urban survival gear to buy. Now go through the list once again and pick the ones you feel useful. That way, you’ll be prepared for the worst-case scenarios beforehand. Feel free to subscribe to our newsletters and leave a comment below.